Re: SATA Hard drive problem

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 10:12:16PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> writes:
>
> > If you boot up with a rescue disk and use resize2fs on the block device
> > (assuming an ext2/ext3 filesystem) that should make the filesystem the same
> > size as the block device.  You can't do it on the running system, since ext3
> > (still) doesn't have a widely available online resize capability.
>
> If the FS is prepared for it (and recent mke2fs does it automatically
> now) you can online resize to some degree.

Hence my "widely available" qualifier -- you can't just expect it to be
there on an existing system.  But I thought it required some kernel patches
to the driver still.  Is there a definitive "state of the nation" page on
the whole issue -- I went looking a week or two ago but didn't find anything
particularly helpful, but my Google-fu isn't infallible, and what I found
didn't mirror my recollections from reading mailing list discussions (but I
couldn't find *those* in Google, either).

- Matt