Re: proposed addition to debian-women list filtering, please comment

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 01:42, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > Hi folks,
>
> [...]
>
> > On the subject of collateral damage: some will point out that tor is a
> > service with legitimate applications, including some that are close to
> > the heart of many on this list, such as protection against invasion of
> > privacy by corporations, defense against persecution by totalitarian
> > governments, and freedom of association for at-risk women.  While these
> > are all valid uses of tor, I believe the intersection of these uses
> > with posting to the debian-women mailing list is approximately zero:
> > while we don't want to be responsible for preventing such people from
> > contributing to Debian in general, there's no need for them to be able
> > to post to debian-women in the process, and in many cases it's probably
> > safer for them if they don't do so. I'm not aware of any legitimate
> > posters to this list that are using tor when sending mail, and I can't
> > think of any realistic cases in which it would be necessary for someone
> > to do so.
>
> Could it be possible to also add a whitelist for the (improbable) case
> when someone have a legitimate reason for it? Such a person will have
> to contact someone to ask to be added, and addition will be
> manual. It's inconvenient for him, but as it is improbable, it is not
> really a problem.
>
> By the way, such a whitelist could be added only when needed.

One other possibility would be to whitelist e-mails with valid
PGP-signatures from keys on the Debian keyring (and possibly
another "whitelist" keyring that is only used for this purpose). Actually,
this would be nice for all the Debian lists. =)

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>