Re: Statistics about the IRC channel

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 02:11:43PM +0100, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> Hi Liz, all,

My apologies, I must've accidently missed Liz's response in my bleary-eyed
morning purge of spam. I'm sorry. =(

> liz wrote:
> >Hi!
> >Social conditioning perhaps? I have noticed in certain circumstances men
> >like to "talk over" me as I call it. I dont stand for it but I have seen
> >other females who get quiet or don't paricipate as much due. Perhaps the
> >inherent aggression in Male communication style?

I'm not sure if it's inherent aggression in male communication style as much
as it's simply how communication on a "real-time" text-based medium goes.
A situation where are several people in one "area" holding several different
conversations is much different than say Jabber or AIM where you are
speaking directly to one person, and you wait for their response before you
type again. Sometimes comments get lost in the shuffle because people are
trying to follow multiple conversations, other times that conversation
thread simply dies out. I don't attribute this to inherent aggression of
males, but rather the way conversations flow on IRC.

I tried to introduce family members to IRC-like gathering areas, thinking it
would be worthwhile to actually be able to hold conversations with more than
one person at a time. It very much didn't work. They felt the same way -
that people were "talking over" them, ignoring them - that they couldn't
keep up with everything going on because one group of people was talking
about one thing, another about a completely different topic and yet another
group of people poking fun at each other. They gave up because they just
couldn't catch up and keep up with the conversation flows.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from you; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski