Re: list statistics

Helen Faulkner wrote:
> I have just discovered the following graph (doubtless a resource that I should
> have known about months ago):
>
> http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-women.png

400 people is *impressive* I am speechless.

> The slowness of the list in recent months has been worrying me, though
> I also haven't had time to try to do much about it.

Same here.

>  Is the Debian Women project meeting your needs?  How could it do so
>  better?

Sure it has. I would still love to see its members being more visible in
technical activities in Debian. I think I mean working together in a
"team mainteinance" fashion in, say, a transition. Something like that.

But we have achieved *a lot*. I don't feel anymore it is a taboo to talk
about females within Debian (be it Developers, Translators, Users or
whatever form of involvement), and are no longer stuck with XXL
night-gown sized tshirts in Debconf (LOL). To me it has made a great
difference and my involvement in the project feels more "normalized" to
me.

Also, in RL meetings, the default assumption that the attending females
were $girlfriends of some male "actually" interested in the meeting has
decreassed significantly.

I don't know wether it is related, but since Debian Women exists the
feeling of a "social" community on top of the "technical" community has
been much reinforced. This might be my subjective perception of
"belonging" to this community, improved by the existance of other
females in it, and other members of the project being welcoming and
inclusive about us.

>  Do you think the Debian Women project is still helping to encourage
>  more women to be involved in Debian?

Yes I do. The ML might be silent, but the IRC channel is alive and
healthy. Still a nice place to hang about.

>  Do you think it is still needed to encourage the involvement of
>  women?

Heh. I would want to see a 50% ratio in Developers, contributors and
users :)

I would love to hear what newcomers or silent bystanders expect from
Debian Women and how can we (or I specifically) help them achive their
goals in Debian.

--
 .''`.                  sleep: command not found
: :' :