gnu autotools

In my quest to become at one with Debian :-) I'm trying to learn to use
the GNU Autotools, but I'm seem to be going around in circles... There's
lots of documentation out there (see below), but it's either out of date
eg [1], contradictory, just gives "magic recipes", or may as well be
written in "Chef" (bork, bork):

> Ootucunff is un ixtenseeble-a peckege-a ooff m4 mecrus thet prudooce-a
> shellscreepts tu ootumeteecelly cunffeegoore-a sufftvere-a suoorce-a
> cude-a peckeges. Um gesh dee bork, bork!

Can someone explain the relationship between aclocal, libtoolize,
automake, autoscan, autoheader, and autoconf, and the order I should be
learning/using them in?

[1] http://sourceware.org/autobook/ "The Goat Book"
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/
[3] http://autotoolset.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html