Re: Women wanted as games programmers

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:46:35PM +1000, Pia Waugh wrote:
> Just a quick comment on this, I don't think that the cars and guns
> thing is what puts girls off some games, it is the ridiculous pigeon-holing
> of women in those games that leaves the bad taste. I loved playing quake,
> doom, wolfenstein, metal slug and a bunch of other shoot-em-ups as a kid,
> even though there were next to no "normal" looking women in them (with the
> exception of metal slug :), but now most women in games are portrayed as a
> prize or a sexy enemy.

Clearly you play the wrong games :P

Most of the best ones in recent history have either had strong female
protagonists or principals (Phantom Brave, Disgaea, Xenosaga, Final
Fantasy X-2) or simply been ambivalent about the gender of the
characters (typically because they have no plot; such games either
allow you to pick the gender or simply don't indicate one).

Now, if you're talking about *bad* games, then you might see something
more like that... but they suck, what did you expect? There will
always be more bad games than good ones.

I can think of very few games like you describe that were actually
decent. Prince of Persia comes to mind.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |