Re: Women wanted as games programmers

> Rock! :) Just a quick comment on this, I don't think that the cars and guns
> thing is what puts girls off some games, it is the ridiculous pigeon-holing
> of women in those games that leaves the bad taste. I loved playing quake,
> doom, wolfenstein, metal slug and a bunch of other shoot-em-ups as a kid,
> even though there were next to no "normal" looking women in them (with the
> exception of metal slug :), but now most women in games are portrayed as a
> prize or a sexy enemy. It is no wonder there are image problems left right
> an center. Loads of games still rock, and have female characters that are
> cool and getting more chicks to write games would help :)

Exactly. Aleks Krotoski wrote about this in her ELSPA White Paper
(http://www.elspa.com/about/pr/elspawhitepaper3.pdf) "Chicks and
Joysticks: An Exploration of Women and Gaming." (See sidebars on
"Turning Men On, and Women Off: The Helpless Female" and "Turning Men
On, and Women Off: Sex Kittens.")

Coincidentally, I'm going to a talk by Aleks on women in gaming this
afternoon. I expect others will be interested in hearing about it, so
I'll post a summary here afterwards.

--
hanna m. wallach
blog: http://join-the-dots.org/