Re: DW (was: Re: [gnome-women] Getting a Web Site Up & Logo Contest status)

* || स्वक्ष || svaksha  <svaksha@gmail.com> [2005:08:12 19:19 +0600]:
> On 8/11/05, Erinn Clark <erinn@double-helix.org> wrote:
> >
> > So I'm wondering: how do we encourage people who have not expressed an
> > opinion? Is it really safe to cater to people we don't know rather than
>
> For starters, how about a list of to-do tasks/help required page
> listing with a specific volunteer mentor who can contacted for that
> task with doubts/questions...so on.

Well, we do have something vaguely resembling that on the wiki:

http://women.alioth.debian.org/wiki/index.php/English/ToDo

And we also have a mentoring page for people who want to get involved in
Debian/DW where we assign someone to them in case they are afraid of
posting to a public list or what have you. In addition to that, there is
a contact person for each page. If a page doesn't exist yet, it's
probably because no one has been interested enough to make it or hasn't
had the time. The involvement page is also fairly full of information...
I'm honestly not sure what else can be done. Things probably could
afford to be updated more frequently, but beyond that...

> You could also mention the level of expertise required for a task,
> knowledge base and any other specific details.
> Example: for translation of a particular page, the tools needed by a
> newbie would include a  Linux OS installed with the language packages,
> keymap for character input and a knowledge of the language he/she
> wishes to translate to ;-). Alternately it can include a list of
> places where they should go if they face specific problems for  their
> language.

Right, I agree with that. Anyone currently working on translations or
the website is able to add such a page. Once people have access they
basically have free reign over content. But no one's bothered.

> Maybe this can be in a wiki form so anyone interested can contribute.
> I have seen this in Ubuntu and I feel its a great way for newbies (me
> included) to contribute without getting in the way or feeling left
> out.

The only real issue with the wiki was wiki spam. I think setting it up
so people can register before posting information would be better than
the current password protection thing, but I'm actually not sure how to
do that as I haven't worked on the wiki extensively.

> > the existing members who've spoken up? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm
> > all for doing stuff to get new people involved, but I'm unable and
> > unwilling to assume that I have any idea what kind of support they need
> > or want from us based on some close approximation of potentiailly
> > similar anecdotal experience. That way lies madness.
> >
> > And to the lurkers who haven't spoken up: please do so. If you think it
> > is difficult to contribute or that we are not friendly enough or what
> > have you, realize that you have the power to change things.
>
> If a persons contribution is measured by the visibility factor,
> decibel level,  or number of posts he/she makes at various lists and
> forums then this virtual world would be very noisy indeed ;-)  ...
> Seriously,  I'd rather just do something anonymously and walk away...

Well, that wasn't what I meant at all -- what I meant was that it's hard
to intuit the needs or desires of people who haven't spoken up and it's
therefore *really* hard to accomodate them.

I mean, is this an issue of empowerment (or lack thereof)? I have no
idea how to empower someone who's afraid to take the first step except
to tell them not to be afraid. I don't even know how many people are
listening.

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide