Re: A list for D-W translators

> I translate for Ubuntu using Rosetta for Sanskrit and Marathi. I am
> not sure how it is integrated eventually but I would like to know.
> We are doing the translation for each package and the Rosetta
> interface is simple, nice and well organized.

....and, as far as I know, unfortunately no completely free, which at
this moment makes it unsuitable for Debian uses.

Anyway, I'm still hoping that things will change because, yes, Rosetta
is a very powerful tool.

On the other hand, I am more and more considering setting up a Pootle
server as a test case for being included in Debian l10n
infrastructure. I discussed this issue a lot with Otavio Salvador at
Debconf and we will probably work on this as soon as I'm back from
holidays, ni a few weeks.

> > What has prevented you from doing such work so far?
>
> at this moment all I can think of is :
> 1] Not having simple howtos on how to begin for non-geeks.
> 2] Lack of Unicode support for Sanskrit and Marathi (which is now
> hopefully solved)
> 3] ... more later ...

There is a (small) working group for l10n for languages of India,
animated by Jaldhar M. Vyas. The group has a mailing list hosted on
Alioth :

Jaldhar and myself are subscribed to the indlinux group mailing list
as well and we both follow what's happening for l10n in the Indic
languages family.

An Hindi and a Punjabi translation effort already exist for the Debian
Installer. Both actually need a not-yet-existing graphical interface
for the installer, but we are confident that it well soon be ready and
thus these translations become functional.

Efforts for l10n in all other languages from India and South Asia are
very welcomed.

> > Is there anything that we (Debian or Debian-Women) could do to make it easier
> > for you to do Debian translation work)?
>
> Yes please :-)  Since Ubuntu is Debian based I am asking this here.
> The only problem I had was with the UTF-8 unicode character encoding
> not rendering correctly.  I did ask the Rosetta users list but there
> was no reply.
> Example :  The signature has the Sanskrit/Devanagari script (which
> includes Hindi, Marathi, etc..)  which has only 3 consonants
> (sa+va+ksha).
>
> The Consonant Sandhi [1] is : sa (half Consonant) + va (full) + ksha
> (ka + sha)
>
> Below you will see it is rendered as four full consonants with
> diatrical markings to denote a half consonant. This makes reading very
> difficult resulting is pronounciation mistakes.  There is more bit I
> shall leave it for later :-)

I think these typical issues can be discussed in both the debian-i18n
and the debian-in-workers mailing lists. No doubt.