D-W wiki and i18n

Hi everyone :)

I've been trying things out at the pmwiki pmwiki, if that makes sense, and whatever version they are running there displays Vietnamese UTF-8 text _perfectly_. No black triangles.

<does virtual Unicode-happy-dances all around the room

The admin had to enable it in the pages, in some specific way, since the default is still iso-8859-1 (Latin-1), but once that is done, it's correct.

Even more exciting was the discovery that UTF-8 linknames work!

I don't want to dump a whole lot of extra work on the D-W wiki admin, but could we update to this Unicode-friendly version?

I found a bug listing the display problem with individual UTF-8 characters: evidently they've fixed it. I'm impressed.

I'd really like to see my Vietnamese text (and all other languages!) displayed correctly in the D-W wiki. Is this update doable? Can I help?

The people on the pmwiki list are very helpful, although it seems to be fairly high-traffic. It would be a good place to ask questions if necessary. They've responded very quickly and helpfully to my localization questions.

I am tickled pink about this full UTF-8 display. It's one of my favourite things. After chocolate, of course. And pure trig. And sf. And poetry. And...

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc