Re: Core KDE member about HIG^W female contributors

On 16/05/2005, at 11:16 PM, Patricia Jung wrote:

I wanted to contribute <snip>

I have found this discussion very interesting, and appreciate the very penetrating and useful remarks which have been made.

I think the article has its place: evidently awareness in this area needs some serious lifting.

I think the first time I started wondering about the whole female-tech thing was the day I had a sudden hygienic emergency in my maths class, which sort of snapped me out of my maths, and while I was hastily reviewing my options, I noticed that what had been a class balanced equally between males and females only three years ago, was now all male, except for me. I really hadn't noticed that before. <blush>

I looked up the front of the room. The teacher was also male. What the hell has happened here? I wondered. I stuck up my hand.

"I have to go," I said firmly.

"Why?" asked the teacher, accompanied by a very large number of equally interested male eyes.

I took a deep breath, and grabbed all the assertiveness I had (not much):

"NEVER MIND."

and exited stage right. :)

That was thirty years ago. Is there generally effective support for women in technical areas now? I hope so. But we have a long way to go, and anything that jolts people out of _their_ occupational or daily-life daze to think about the issues, has to be worthwhile, as long as it's not destructive.

A welcoming community, somewhere you can share who you are, and be respected and rewarded for it, is something every human being needs. Let's never fall short of striving for that goal.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc