Re: Article: How to make a Debian package without using a helper

Dear Miriam,

I think I found some typos in your nice article.

 > if she/he already did.
I'd suggest you to use "they" instead of "she/he"
see e.g.:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2004/08/msg00075.html

and... I'd rather prefer you use the present perfect
instead of past simple
<OK, native English speakers can [f|b]lame me ;-)

so:
 > if she/he already did.
if she/he already did --> if they have already done

 > We'll expand the tar.gz archive and rename it
 > to the proper .orig.tar.gz file name it will need in Debian's
 > building system ( <package>_<version>.orig.tar.gz ):
 >
 >   $ tar xvfz roaddemo-1.0.1.tar.gz
 >   $ mv roaddemo-1.0.1.tar.gz roaddemo_1.0.1.orig.tar.gz
 >   $ cd roaddemo_1.0.1
 >

 > $ cd roaddemo_1.0.1
I do not understand when the *directory* roaddemo_1.0.1 (underscore)
was created.
I think that could be a typo:
s/\_/\-/

The following paragraph is due to is my ignorance
in making packages (is still ignorance strength? ;-)

  I think it would be more logical firstly to rename, then to
expand the package, so /tar/ itself would create the *directory*
roaddemo_1.0.1 (underscore) ;-)
 Do you think -on the other hand- that make & co. would get into
some troubles, being the directory not consistent with the
package-version nomenclature ?
(I do not have by linux box here and I can't try by myself)

Thank you again for your article.

Cheers,
Giovanni

Tiscali Adsl 2 Mega Free, 2 Mega GRATIS!
Attiva Tiscali Adsl 2 Mega Free entro il 28 febbraio e navighi GRATIS
fino al 31 marzo 2005! In piu', anche il costo di adesione e' GRATIS.
Scaricato il concetto? http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/