Re: RC Bugsquashing howto [Re: Anyone up for bug squashing?]

Steve Langasek wrote:
| On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:07:24AM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:
|

|>>In relation to this, I've been asked to mention an idea that I've been
|>>kicking around for a few weeks, which has gotten a generally positive
|>>reaction
|>>on IRC.  Since debian-women is all about helping women get involved
in the
|>>Debian project, and squashing RC bugs is an important area where the
|>>project
|>>definitely needs more people to get involved (and one that's close to my
|>>heart as a release manager), I'd like to propose an "RC bugsquashing
|>>tutorial" to coincide with the BSP this weekend.
|

|>It's a great idea!
|

|>What would you say the minimum appropriate level of technical skill is
for
|>someone to be able to get involved in this in some way or other (noting
|>that I had no idea how to fix the last RC bug I looked at)?
|

| Participants should know how to download, unpack, build, examine the
| contents of, install, and run arbitrary packages from the Debian archive
| (any branch) before trying to tackle RC bugsquashing.  A basic familiarity
| with the syntax of makefiles is also recommended, since both debian/rules
| and upstream build scripts are likely to be written in this language.

You can find more information about downloading, unpacking, building and
installing arbitrary packages in the APT HOWTO [0] [1], the online help
of synaptic [2], the aptitude documentation [3] or the Debian Reference
[4] [5].

For examining the contents of and running arbitrary packages you need
some experience I guess. Please give pointers to more information if you
can.