Re: RC Bugsquashing howto [Re: Anyone up for bug squashing?]

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:07:24AM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:

> >In relation to this, I've been asked to mention an idea that I've been
> >kicking around for a few weeks, which has gotten a generally positive
> >reaction
> >on IRC.  Since debian-women is all about helping women get involved in the
> >Debian project, and squashing RC bugs is an important area where the
> >project
> >definitely needs more people to get involved (and one that's close to my
> >heart as a release manager), I'd like to propose an "RC bugsquashing
> >tutorial" to coincide with the BSP this weekend.

> It's a great idea!

> What would you say the minimum appropriate level of technical skill is for
> someone to be able to get involved in this in some way or other (noting
> that I had no idea how to fix the last RC bug I looked at)?

Participants should know how to download, unpack, build, examine the
contents of, install, and run arbitrary packages from the Debian archive
(any branch) before trying to tackle RC bugsquashing.  A basic familiarity
with the syntax of makefiles is also recommended, since both debian/rules
and upstream build scripts are likely to be written in this language.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer