Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 02:00:54 +0100, "Andrew Suffield"
<asuffield@debian.org> said:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:50:00PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > As reward for your work you get recognition in the Debian
> > community.
>
> No. The only reward for work is more work.
>
> > Throughthis he has become the "informal" d-i leader. And it is a
> > good thing that his word counts more than mine.
>
> No, it really isn't. And doesn't. Everybody has precisely the same
> ability to do or say anything and have it analysed in the same way.
>
> It would be a disaster if this were not true.

Oh, come on!! Please stop having some idealised view of the open
development process (if it really worked the way you keep (repeatedly)
inisting it works, nothing would happen). The reward for good work is
that your input is respected and that you know the codebase better. That
means if you wrote a large proportion of the code, you probably made a
large proportion of the design descisions. If the project is a good
(well working) project then that means you write good code and/or make
good design decisions, and hence your new design choices and new code
are much more respected than someone wirh no input to the project. This
is a major strength of FOSS.

Why do you always argue like your opinion is implicitly right? You opine
on so many things that i doubt you can point me to projects you've
contributed to effectively in all the areas in which you talk like you
are an expert in, but feel free to give me convincing evidence.

Rob Taylor