Re: The prevailing Debian culture

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:25:17AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 03:49:26PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:23:43PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > What you will encounter in Debian, and free software development in
> > > general, is nothing like you will encounter in the mundane
> > > world. There will be an endless stream of accusations and
> > > recriminations from other Debian developers, from upstream developers,
> > > and from users, who will turn out to be the single most stupid and
> > > ungrateful group of people you will ever encounter.
> >
> > Your experience does not match the experience of the rest of us.
>
> Go through a few threads on d-devel about the "problems" with ftpmasters,
> porters, and other various sub-groups.  You will find what Andrew is talking
> about in huge quantities.

For sure you can find this in those endless and useless threads, but
there are also other parts of Debian where you can get reward in return
to your work and where people tell you if they like something you have
done.
And there is something else too. I regard Debian in large parts as a
meritocraty. As reward for your work you get recognition in the Debian
community. If you just flame and didn't achieve something usefull for
Debian, you will most probably be ignored. Look at the debian-installer
Project, where joeyh is probably the one who does most of the work.
Throughthis he has become the "informal" d-i leader. And it is a
good thing that his word counts more than mine.
Beside all of this I agree, that intrinsic motivation is very important
for every engagement in a free software project. Without that kind of
motivation you will loose your interest in the project quickly. But I
don't think that the women here on the list that want to become DD's
lack intrinsic motivation.

Gaudenz