Re: Profiles/contributors (was:Re: Website beta trial)

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:54:42 +0000
simon@nuit.ca wrote:

> Ce jour Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Raquel Rice a dit:
>
> [...]
>
> > I agree with Nicole that we don't need validation.  I do think
> > though that some sort of recognition for *everyone* who
> > contributes is necessary.
>
> i would tend to agree, but not stupidly :).
>
> > I AM a "cranky old bat".  Dipping back into the recesses of my
> > memory, to the 60's which I remember all too well, the struggle
> > for the rights of Blacks in the U.S. didn't really gain momentum
> > until"white" people joined in.  I think that it takes some men
> > saying,"Let these women into our clubhouse", before other men
> > begin to listen.
>
> yes, that's true - to me that stinks in a way, though because it's
> still a"the people who have power by 'virtue' of their gender or
> race make the thing more known or more 'legit'" (badly worded,
> sorry about that) instead of the issue(s) standing on their own
> merit. to me there's a wrongness there. maybe it's just me, but
> wouldn't an issue/"cause" stand on its own merit, and need that
> kind of "momentum". but, on the other hand, there's the aspect of
> "more people know about it, some of them just so happen to be
> (fill in the blank)".
>

> s/
>

> PS: i have a definite bias here, i'm a long-time activist, so
> that's showing ^^^^^ up there.

I'm happy to meet another long-time activist.

It doesn't stink any less, but men people seem to listen when "their
own kind" endorse "the other kind".  I think it's just human nature,
not just sexist.

I used to work among men who were all the time bashing gays ...
until someone they respected stood up for gays.  All of a sudden it
wasn't popular to gay-bash anymore.

--
Raquel
To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people