Re: Profiles/contributors (was:Re: Website beta trial)

Ce jour Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Raquel Rice a dit:

[...]

> I agree with Nicole that we don't need validation.  I do think
> though that some sort of recognition for *everyone* who contributes
> is necessary.

i would tend to agree, but not stupidly :).

> I AM a "cranky old bat".  Dipping back into the recesses of my
> memory, to the 60's which I remember all too well, the struggle for
> the rights of Blacks in the U.S. didn't really gain momentum until
> "white" people joined in.  I think that it takes some men saying,
> "Let these women into our clubhouse", before other men begin to
> listen.

yes, that's true - to me that stinks in a way, though because it's still a
"the people who have power by 'virtue' of their gender or race make the
thing more known or more 'legit'" (badly worded, sorry about that)
instead of the issue(s) standing on their own merit. to me there's a
wrongness there. maybe it's just me, but wouldn't an issue/"cause" stand
on its own merit, and need that kind of "momentum". but, on the other
hand, there's the aspect of "more people know about it, some of them
just so happen to be (fill in the blank)".

s/

PS: i have a definite bias here, i'm a long-time activist, so that's
showing ^^^^^ up there.

--
FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BATF DOD WACO RUBY RIDGE OKC OKLAHOMA CITY MILITIA
GUN HANDGUN MILGOV ASSAULT RIFLE TERRORISM BOMB DRUG HORIUCHI KORESH