Re: Localization work, evangelism

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> All this is indeed meant at trying to convince that having a "lingua
> franca" is one thing....and supporting only the most widepsread
> languages in the world is another thing.

I love discussing things with people and learning new things. Talked
to pusakat, who enlightened me about the long-term usefulness of
localization. Silly me. It's not a short-term thing. It's not
something for the people who already use Debian or Linux (and who have
no problems with English). It's for people who are going to be very
new and very nervous about all of this, and they're going to find
Debian much friendlier because Debian's made an effort to reach out.

Someday there'll be a grade school or high school student in the
provinces who'll download Debian (from, hopefully, a localized Debian
page) and just play with it. <grin>

Nice side benefit: an established translation will also give me a
lexicon of technical terms to use for teaching in Filipino. ^_^
This is a Good Thing.

This is a bit embarrassing, Google-wise, but I'm glad I expressed
my misconceptions. That way, they could be corrected and my bias
lessened. Thanks!

--
Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed