Re: Localization work, evangelism

> Now if we could just make it easy to squeeze Linux onto an existing
> system without worrying too much about zapping partitions... <laugh>

Hey, just give a try to the new installer....:-)

> (I think I'm getting off-topic for debian-women. What is the most
> appropriate list? Then again, I'm not sure if this is useful to other
> people... <laugh>)

It is. At least from my point of view. d-w is a friendly place (more
friendly since a few jerks stopped trolling) where such general topics
about the different ways to get involved in free software development
have their place, as this is one of the keys for getting more women
involved, by just getting more *people* involved..:-)

Back to languages topics (a few regular contributors in d-w and IRC
channel enjoy these topics....):

You mentioned English to be the business language in Philippines,
that's right, but what about daily life....even in business world
("business" is sometimes quite vague anyway and does not necessarily
have the same meaning for everyone). For instance, when speaking with
your fellow colleagues in a company's cafeteria, or at the coffee
machine....which language do you or would you use (assuming everyone
is from the country and the same place in the country)?

Similarly, when shopping in Manila, how do you speak with people?

I often, read here and there that "English is the business language"
in most countries (not mine but everyone know French are crazy enough
for making laws for that...:-))) but the reality is most often quite
different when the "business" is nothing but local. And especially
when the business is nothing but computing (where the feeling about
English preeminence is quite biased).

Of course, the literacy in English language varies from country to
country but, in general, the average level in English language is
often not as high as often believed.....and *not* only in Paris..:-)

For instance, and for the only place I really know about, I would say
that among all European countries, the only places where I'm quite
sure that an English-only speaker cannot get lost without speaking the
local language are Scandinavian countries and Netherlands. Everywhere
else may be quite difficult and, yes, in include Germany as well.

Moreover, even among people comfortable with English, dealing with
complicated ideas/topics is often easier in the local language rather
than a foreign language...

All this is indeed meant at trying to convince that having a "lingua
franca" is one thing....and supporting only the most widepsread
languages in the world is another thing.

This is why I give the exact same importance to
Romansch/Cherokee/Klingon/Welsh translations than I give to
English/French/Chinese/whatever translations....

And don't ask me where I put Tagalog in the above...I don't know..:-)