Re: Hello, world!

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:42 am, Sacha Chua wrote:
> Hello, everyone!
>
> Helen Faulkner's message reminded me that although I had been lurking
> on debian-women through gmane for a while now, I hadn't actually
> gotten around to posting. <laugh> I guess it's a good time to
> introduce myself.

Hi Sacha:) You've inspired me to do a bit more than occasional popping into
irc or rarer post to list:)

Some of you know me from irc - but heres a slightly better bio anyway:)
Australian, nearly 38 (yes, it DOES get better as you get older, despite what
my 18yo thinks;)  )

Married to a freebsd/debian type geek who is also a firefighter...

Five (yes, five;)  ) glorious offspring -
Rhiannon, 18, Amaryllis (Abby) 12, Cassandra(Cassy), nearly 10, Genevra(Gen),
3, Christopher,(aka the monster baby), 16 mths of rampaging boyness:)

I cant imagine any of my kids thinking geekdom is gender specific - or that
linux is harder than windows:) I have so many puter oriented friends of both
genders....

They have preferences on both o/s - some games you can only playing one or the
other. Browsing is via firefox on either os...as the 12 and 9yo love stealing
my laptop, they use debian mostly on that, and windows on 12yo (maintain it
yourself kid, heres adaware, spybot, avg etc...), and sid on 9yo (as in haha
I dont have to maintain anything;)  )....18yo is windows based, but is comfy
in linux...

I love my sid, as a linux user who has passed through redhat to mandrake to
finally lovely sid 3 years ago, I love how wonderfully simple debian is...

I am the admin officer(dogsbody;)  ) and general volunteer in a non profit
group that takes recycled tech, refurbishes, and donates to low income
groups, individuals, and communities. We have done some overseas stuff with
East Timor, and have started a project to ship boxen to Ghana. And what o/s
do we use? Debian - sarge to be precise. Robust, handles low end hw so well,
and apt allows us customisation to the nth degree - bliss. We tried Fedora
and Mandrake, too bloaty - we get all we could want on a sarge install under
2 gb - impossible with the others.

And Vi/Vim is my favourite app:)

r:)
--