Re: Meetings?

Erinn Clark wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi everyone too :)

I'm considering setting up meetings (monthly, every two weeks, whatever) on
IRC. We're all very chatty in the IRC channel and a lot of good discussion
comes out of it, yet the list remains dead. Ideally, discussions on IRC
would be about a certain topic picked at an earlier time, then discussed,
with minutes posted to the website/list (as well as tasks assigned,
assuming the topic has anything to do with such a thing).

Good idea!  Though I think the list will pick up in time, now that we've gotten
through some (possibly inevitable) early difficulties.

Pros:
 - Increased discussion.
 - More clearly defined goals.

Cons:
 - Not everyone goes on IRC.
 - Different timezones.
 - Non-fluent English speakers feel more comfortable replying via email
   (I've been told)

Pros:
   - IRC is usually more sociable - it's a chance to get to know the other
people better.

Cons:
   - IRC often ends up with a situation where a small number of people dominate
the discussion and everyone else can't get a word in edgewise.  I think in this
context a moderator and a clearly defined set of rules would be a good idea, at
least for the more "formal" part of the meeting/discussion.  The aim being to
give everyone a chance to say what they think.

The idea is that this will facilitate more discussion on the list and more
work being done. We can also hold the meetings at varying times to
accomodate people in different timezones (maybe change it each month,
depending on what we decide).

Yes, meeting in different timezones is good.  I think the meetings should be
announced well in advance, too, with suggested topics proposed.  That way people
can arrange to be there if they like, and if they are interested in the topics.

What we'll need:
 - A working wiki
 - Dates
 - Times
 - People willing to do various tasks (keep track of the meetings, post to
   wiki, etc.)

Very happy to help with some of that.   What date suggests itself for a first
meeting?  What about in a month on a Saturday - that would be 27th October.  No
idea on the best timezone choice though.

Helen.