Re: D-W website translation handling

Hi,

Rudy Godoy wrote:
:: Hi all, just subscribed (finally!). I've been lurking
:: into the list archives and find out that you are
:: talking about trasnlations for website.

	Welcome! :o)

:: Well I'll have to add my two cents here. It has been
:: discussed if use WML or WiKi, I think both are great
:: tools for collaborative work. But for the website
:: pages I'd suggest to pick WML, I'll try to resume my
:: experience with it by translating and setting a
:: website using it.

	Until now, it looks like that WML is our winner! :)

:: Pros:
:: [.. list of pros ...]

	List of pros are very good! :)
	I would like to ask, how you deal with CVS/SVN and
the content change? I mean, do you a cronjob to publish
in the website the updates from CVS/SVN? Is there another
workaround to see (instantly) what you have just uploaded?
(of course, there is FTP, but I'm thinking about version
control systems).

:: Cons:
:: - It's well docummented for the functions and languages
:: internals, but not for a "quick guide to learn it".

	Maybe we could write a "Quick Start"?

:: - There's no dynamic content, all pages are plain generated
:: HTML. This could be workaround by adjunting cronjob to
:: short generation cycles.

	We could use PHP to work with dynamic content and also,
i18n/l10n. I don't know if it is possible to use PHP on D-W
webserver AND I don't know if it is desired, when a system is
created using PHP there are default messages and patterns, and
commonly it is in one file, just copy and translate. But, for
WEBsites, no default messages and patterns, and we fall back
in the static site with many translations.

:: - Translators need to learn basics of CVS/SVN. Unless
:: there's a team who deal with that by receiving all
:: translations by email.

	Volunteer to work as "committer" (BSD expression). :o)
Trully, I can work, receiving translations and putting it inside
CVS/SVN (I would like to use SubVersion).

:: Those are the most important and the ones I can recall
:: now, however I'd suggest to give a try by checking out
:: the cdimage website[0], which is less than 1MB and is
:: not so complicated and big as the w.d.o, then take a
:: look and play with it and see how it works, you'll need
:: wml package in order to generate the HTML pages.

:: 0- cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org/cvs/webwml login
::    cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org/cvs/webwml co cdimage

:: I'd be glad to help on this issue, tough I'm not a WML
:: guru but I can put my two cents. Maybe I can do some
:: prototyping now that I have some spare time. I'll let
:: you know.

	:o)

:: Other ways to handle this could be PHP using gettext,
:: but this will involve programming and db, same for CMS,
:: I don't know one which handles pretty well l10n, most
:: of them only handle one language at time, I've heard
:: that drupal CVS is improving it though. And I think
:: same goes for WiKis.

	Ok, I have a similar opinion. :)

--
// Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)