Re: No goals, selective memory, be nice, red nose day

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 01:01:54PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 05:48:57PM +0930, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> > it takes a long time for minorities to gain respect in the wider community,
>
> It should *never* happen. Respect is something that individuals
> get. When applied to groups, the word is "stereotyping". Fortunately
> Debian is more or less immune to this; it'll never happen.

Well, take it from the other side. If a minority group is actually not
respected to the point of it hindering the ability of individuals to earn
respect then there is a problem. As you say though, the Debian developer
community does seem to be largely immune to this (krooger aside) but I think it
would be nice to see this extended to our userbase. The best way to do this is
more exposure of minorities in respectable positions, which is what I see this
project being aimed at.

 - David Nusinow