Copyright, was: Comments on the FAQ

On 2004-08-08 18:05:47 +0100 Erinn Clark <erinn@double-helix.org> wrote:

This is mostly a matter of my own ignorance. I'm not really sure how to
license it, since I know very little about licensing of websites etc.
Perhaps you can help? I have no intentions of making it "non-free", I'm
just not sure what's appropriate. Suggestions welcome.

I believe the current popular advice is to use either the GPL (stating what you consider the source form, to avoid confusing) or a new-BSD-style licence. There are numerous examples of GPL use in the debian website, like the policy manual. www.debian.org has problems (bug 238245) and fixing these things later is a huge pain, as that bug shows.

If anyone has questions about copyright, trademarks, patents, NDAs, and so on, concerning software for debian, please ask debian-legal. Ask to be cc'd. If you don't want a mail flood, ask if a regular can send you a summary when discussion settles (but you may have to remind them, in my experience).

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast