Re: Supporters brief-up

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:14:00AM -0400, Erinn Clark wrote:

> 1. People agree with having a contributors page
> 2. The supporters page is still controversial

I still haven't quite made up my mind on whether I'd consider having
a supporters page a good idea or not. I think what bothers me most is
the predefined context of "supportiveness" in which people's views
would be presented. This has several implications that not all of us
feel comfortable with.  OTOH, I generally find it rather interesting
to learn about what people think, their attitudes and opinions.

So maybe we should simply change the title of the page to "What others
think about us" or something like that (better suggestions welcome).
This would put the statements in a more neutral context. The messages
would speak for themselves (even outright negative statements might
find a place there, in that they would more or less directly explain
why we're here...).
Also, we'd no longer be implicitly saying that we feel we're in need
of supporters who endorse our initiative...
Hope I'm being clear.

Note that what I just said refers to the original idea of having men
on the supporters page.  As to making the page gender-neutral, I'm not
sure I understand the intent: I somehow find it rather natural that we
(the women) support our own initiative... (or have I completely missed
the point? :)  If we want to put up our own profiles, viewpoints and
stuff, I think a contributers page would be a more appropriate place
to make ourselves visible and give due credit.

Almut