Re: Supporters brief-up

* Helen Faulkner <helen_ml_faulkner@yahoo.co.uk> [2004:07:25 23:41 +0100]:
> 2)  The comments by the debian developers on Amaya's site, in answer to
> the questions, were interesting to me to read.  They represent a range
> of opinions and ideas.  They may get other people than me thinking about
> the issues involved, and that's a good thing.

Well, I agree with you here, but I still think that getting men involved is
not our primary objective. Women involved seem to already know that there
is a "problem". We've had more discussion about how to include men than we
have about actually getting women active. This is indicative of ..
something. They are not locking us out of their secret club and it is not
up to us to persuade them to let us in.

I've seen the climate of male-dominated communities shift dramatically when
there are more active women. IMO, that is simply a by-product, not an
effect that needs to be specifically crafted.

> 3)  Having a supporters page will make some women (including myself)
> feel more supported by the debian community.  This is a good thing :)

OTOH, it will push others away.

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide
http://double-helix.org