Re: Website beta trial

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:29:33PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2004 6:28 pm, Amaya wrote:
> > Zazu is working on a beta look for our "corporate" site.
> >
> > http://www.opensource-knowhow.com/amaya/
> >
> > Please send us feedback :-)
> >

> Ok, I'm confused. Erinn is already working on the official Debian-women site.
> So what's the deal? What is this for?

hmm, I think, if we're going to have more than one design proposal
for the site (which isn't necessarily bad per se, IMHO), I'd suggest
we also have a somewhat formalised way of coordinating efforts and
choosing upon the final design. Something like a site design challenge
or contest. Anyone who feels like, can make suggestions -- which would
mean to put up a minimal working prototype for everyone to look at.
There would be some deadline for submissions. After that, the group
decides on what we all like the most, via some simple voting mechanism.
(Of course, any discussion or layout refinements can happen after that,
if needed.)

This way, everyone who wants to participate by submitting a design,
will know up front what she's in for, i.e. that her proposal may well
_not_ become the final site. If the procedure is clear right from the
start, there will typically be less hurt feelings/pride and such, and
we wouldn't risk any bad after taste with whoever's design would
finally make it -- if you know what I mean. I feel such interpersonal
crap is the last thing we need...

I've seen a similar semi-formal voting process happen on another
list/project (a few years back), and it worked quite well, IMO.
The details on the procedure are all found in the archives of that
list. For anyone interested, the related head-of-thread-links are here:

subject: "[challenge] new mod_perl site"
  http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/blangzherskum

subject: "[modperl site design challenge] please vote"
  http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/bahflaxchou

subject: "[modperl site design challenge] and the winner is..."
  http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/jandpleedwoi

Just an idea... What do you think?

Almut

P.S.  Erinn, if you'd prefer to just finish the site you began and
leave it at that, that's perfectly fine with me -- you started the
whole thing, so I'd say your vote outrivals any other :)