Re: RFS for icoextract (exe-thumbnailer successor)

Hi,

On 24.12.19 20:20, James Lu wrote:
> On 2019-12-23 12:03 p.m., Stephen Kitt wrote:
>> Hi Jens, hi James,

>>> I recently had the same problem, fortunately I now have the relevant
>>> rights.  So I pushed your repo to wine-team.
>>
>> Thanks!

>>> It's been a few years since I had a deep look into this.  Generally the
>>> version of a binary package doesn't need to be the same as its source
>>> package version (otherwise, since you're upstream, I'd just bump the
>>> version of icoextract).
>>>

>>> Nowadays versioned provides should work (but you need to test it).  Just
>>> add something like this to src:icoextract's d/control:
>>>
>>> Package: icoextract
>>> Provides: exe-thumbnailer (= 0.10.1-2)
>>
>> I don’t think this will ensure the transition: there’s nothing that depends
>> on icoextract, so previous users of exe-thumbnailer will keep that package.
>>
>> [...]
>>> If this doesn't work, you'd have to add a separate (empty) transitional
>>> package:
>>>
>>> Package: exe-thumbnailer
>>>
>>> I think the binary package version can be set in d/rules.
>>
>> I think this is the best solution. The package version can be set using
>> dpkg-gencontrol, or its wrapper dh_gencontrol, with the -v option (to set the
>> version) and the -p option (to specify which package is affected).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Stephen
>>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've added a transitional package from exe-thumbnailer ->
> icoextract-thumbnailer. The code is at
> https://salsa.debian.org/jlu-guest/icoextract since I seem to be locked
> out of the wine-team repo again... (this might be my biggest gripe with
> Salsa in general, so much weirdness with permissions[1] :( )
>
> remote: GitLab: You are not allowed to push code to protected branches
> on this project.
> To salsa.debian.org:wine-team/icoextract.git
>  ! [remote rejected] debian/master -> debian/master (pre-receive hook
> declined)
> error: failed to push some refs to
> 'git@salsa.debian.org:wine-team/icoextract.git'
>
> The transitional package has version 1~icoextract-$(DEB_VERSION) using
> the dh_gencontrol override. It depends on icoextract-thumbnailer, while
> icoextract-thumbnailer has the following:
>
>  Breaks: exe-thumbnailer (<< 1~)
>  Replaces: exe-thumbnailer (<< 1~)
>  Provides: exe-thumbnailer
>
> Best,
> James
>
> [1]: Side note: I've had occasions where GitLab won't let me delete old
> branches from the website, but doing so via git works fine!?

It seems the master branch is protected from "maintainer" pushes by
default (to enforce using pull requests).  I've now unprotected the
master branch.  I think and hope that force-pushes will still be disabled.

I didn't look at your repo, but the transitional package versioning
seems to be ok. (Personally I would have gone for a minimally increased,
static version in order to not conflict with any future development of
exe-thumbnailer. But since you are upstream, that's no big issue.)

Greets
jre