Re: RFS for icoextract (exe-thumbnailer successor)

Hi James,

On 22.12.19 22:04, James Lu wrote:
> I've since prepared Debian packaging for the project, tentatively placed
> at https://salsa.debian.org/jlu-guest/icoextract. (I couldn't push to
> wine-team/icoextract since I don't have permissions to set a default
> branch?)

I recently had the same problem, fortunately I now have the relevant
rights.  So I pushed your repo to wine-team.

> With all this in mind, I'm inclined to deprecate the existing
> exe-thumbnailer unless someone else wants to work on it. However, since
> icoextract is new & has a lower version (0.1.0) than exe-thumbnailer,
> I'm not exactly sure how to set up a transitional package. Any advice on
> this would be appreciated!

It's been a few years since I had a deep look into this.  Generally the
version of a binary package doesn't need to be the same as its source
package version (otherwise, since you're upstream, I'd just bump the
version of icoextract).

Nowadays versioned provides should work (but you need to test it).  Just
add something like this to src:icoextract's d/control:

Package: icoextract
Provides: exe-thumbnailer (= 0.10.1-2)

I'm not sure how the versioned provides exactly works, but you probably
need to tell the system that icoextract supersedes exe-thumbnailer:

Breaks: exe-thumbnailer (<< 0.10.1-2~)
Replaces exe-thumbnailer (<< 0.10.1-2~)

If this doesn't work, you'd have to add a separate (empty) transitional
package:

Package: exe-thumbnailer

I think the binary package version can be set in d/rules.

If there are still issues you could instead make the old
src:exe-thumbnailer shipping the empty transitional package (as version
0.10.1-2).

Package: exe-thumbnailer
Depends: icoextract

Once this package is in the archive please notify or fix its
reverse-dependencies (wine/wine-development).

Greets
jre