Re: vkd3d

Hi Mike

On 26.01.19 21:11, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 10:00 AM Jens Reyer wrote:
>> I'm (finally) working on the Wine 4.0 stretch-backport, which requires
>> the new vkd3d, which isn't in stretch yet.
>
> Does stretch support vulkan very well?  It may be better to drop
> support for vkd3d in the backport, drop it from wine's build depends.

Thanks for your answer!  Personally I don't know much about vulkan, but
I now had a closer look and it seems at least with backports it should
be good:

Stretch has libvulkan1 1.1.39, and 1.1.70 in -backports.  I'll ping its
maintainer when 1.1.97 migrates, now that the full vulkan stack got new
packages.

mesa-vulkan-drivers and nvidia-vulkan-icd are also backported.

I successfully tested wine 4.0 in a stretch VM without vulkan support,
and only with a simple graphical Windows app.

Currently libwine depends unversioned on libvulkan1.  I might bump it to
the stretch-backports version (I guess this is really required since
vkd3d requires that version to build).  I hope this works well on
updates since libvulkan1 is only a recommended package, so the system
might decide to keep it in its non-backported version.

Am I right that src:vulkan-loader (which nowadays has libvulkan1 and
-dev) should provide a symbols file, so that the minimum required
version gets picked up automatically?

>> Can you give me DM upload rights, so that I can upload to stretch-backports?
>
> DM upload yes, but a stretch backport may be a cause of more problems
> than its worth.

Since this is a major new feature of 4.0 I'd really like to provide it.
 If it causes too much trouble I may still drop it.

>> Also, did you consider creating a git repository for it?
>>
>> Would you be okay with me helping out with its packaging in sid?
>
> I had not done so since upstream didn't have a public git repository
> at the time, but now there is one.  So, yes please go ahead.

I don't have permissions for creating a git repo for wine-team.
I'll prepare one in my personal salsa space, and tell you when it's ready.

Greets
jre