Re: [Dev-C++] Compiling Cygwin

Le Jeudi 9 Mai 2002 02:20, John Ineson a écrit :
> What you're setting out here is interesting, but is a bit different from
> what was previously envisioned. The initial design was probably more
> Debian/Cygwin than Debian/w32, but people have mentioned LINE too.
> By making Cygwin optional I personally suspect you'd break an
> unmanageable number of things, without really gaining much, BICBW.

There are a number of excellent Windows native software and I don't see the
reason why we should re-compile them under Cygwin.

Always using Cygwin would mess-up the user with three versions:
- Native Windows from the vendor website,
- Cygwin from Cygwin website,
- W32/GNU here.

Instead, we could offer the best of both worlds using a single-stop W32/Debian
super-installer :

1) Windows native dpkg,

2) Cygwin dll package,

3) Windows native packages :
- Apache + PHP,
- Python,
- CVS,
- diff,
- WinCVS,
- openoffice,
- perl,
- dev-C++,
- Cygwin.

4) Cygwin dependant packages :
- Gnome,
- KDE,
- PostgreSQL.

Technical issues for offering solutions from both worlds:
- path compatibility (which should be Unix style everywhere as stated in the
Debian charter. This will be the only visible change for native Windows
users),
- we need a tools that can write/update the Windows registry,
- we probably need an installation macro language layer (like fink
http://fink.sourceforge.net).
- and a good GUI that would convince users ...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE