Re: [Dev-C++] Compiling Cygwin

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

I don't really know to whom send this e-mail, since it was sent to the
debian-32 list and other two peoples in CC:, so I keep all the addresses.
Sorry if this causes any inconvenience. :-/

>> What you're setting out here is interesting, but is a bit different from
>> what was previously envisioned. The initial design was probably more
>> Debian/Cygwin than Debian/w32, but people have mentioned LINE too.
>> By making Cygwin optional I personally suspect you'd break an
>> unmanageable number of things, without really gaining much, BICBW.

> There are a number of excellent Windows native software and I don't see the
> reason why we should re-compile them under Cygwin.

> Always using Cygwin would mess-up the user with three versions:
> - Native Windows from the vendor website,

There is a problem: debian dpkg should let the people recompile their
application from scratch if desired.

Debian is mostly based on free software, which can be recompiled from
scratch with native tools (apt-getting the sources and rebuild with dpkg
et cetera)... and we know that this is a good thing (r) since we are
talking most of the time about Gnu Free Software shipped with the GPL
license.

So, how will be people able to use DPKG to rebuild those package who, in
Windows, are depending on non-free, (maybe non-shippable with Debian too)
compilers such as Microsoft C from the Platform SDK? Or worse, Visual C++?

Also, in my opinion, taking the software already packaged for Windows and
not testing rebuilding it from zero, will be a misservice to the
opensource community, since it will not help stress the mingw compiler,
gcc-cygwin compiler, and the Debian-Win32 community as well, since the
"packager" will not know what is going on with the applications and will
not be able to reply to Security, Stability and Q&A bugs calls.

If anyway the Debian-Win32 team in its interity will choose to ship
non-recompiled-by-debw32-team applications, I suggest to ship them as
"contrib" software.

Ciao.
--
 |\   /|  Davide "Gatto Feroce" Inglima
 | --- |  Studente, Programmatore, Roleplayer.
_- | | -_ " Mana is rapidly disappearing from the world, even the "
_-  *  -_ " mana tree has begun to wither..." Seiken Densetsu 3.
 -_ - _-  http://digilander.iol.it/nekochan/
   ---    mailto:hadesnebula@libero.it