Re: Getting started with packaging PHP Webapps / time frame / templates?

Hi,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 1:50 pm, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> Joop Kiefte, 2012-05-30 08:39+0200:
>> I have found some tutorials but there are some gaps. For example the
>> software is in a Mercurial repository so I downloaded
>> mercurial-buildpackage, but the documentation of this one is sparse.
>
> First, you have to understand that, from an external point of view, a
> Debian (souce) package is based on the upstream tarball, not on its code
> repository. Using Mercurial or whatever is only your choice for maintaining
> the package more easily. Using the same VCS than upstream can be more
> effective, but only if you know how to use it correctly.

According to the man page of mercurial-buildpackage , it is given that
mercurial-buildpackage builds a .deb from a mercurial repository.

So, it just builds a debian binary package according to my understanding.
If that is the case it is ok for an internal use but to submit the package
to the Debian upstream and maintain it you may have to check out the repo
and pack it as a tar.gz.

I am just curious to know what exactly you are packaging.

Sincerely,
--
Medhamsh
Hacktivist | http://medhamsh.org