Re: Getting started with packaging PHP Webapps / time frame / templates?

Joop Kiefte, 2012-05-30 08:39+0200:
> I'm new to this list and don't even know if my question is
> appropriate, but can you help me getting started with packaging a
> PHP/mysql webapp (for internal usage, inhouse software)?

Compared to packaging other type of software, packaging PHP has more
things is common than specificities. Therefore, I suggest that you start
with the new maintainer guide [1].

    [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

> I have found some tutorials but there are some gaps. For example the
> software is in a Mercurial repository so I downloaded
> mercurial-buildpackage, but the documentation of this one is sparse.

First, you have to understand that, from an external point of view, a
Debian (souce) package is based on the upstream tarball, not on its code
repository. Using Mercurial or whatever is only your choice for
maintaining the package more easily. Using the same VCS than upstream
can be more effective, but only if you know how to use it correctly.

> What would you normally use as basic setup for this kind of packages?
> What do I need to pay attention to?

PHP software does not require compilation, but only to install files at
the proper location, e.g. with dh_install(1): have a look to other
similar packages (for instance my package dokuwiki). As it uses a
database, you may be interested by the package dbconfig-common, but I
never used it so I cannot tell you more.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>
| `-'    Debian Developer