Getting started with packaging PHP Webapps / time frame / templates?

Hello y'all,

I'm new to this list and don't even know if my question is appropriate, but can you help me getting started with packaging a PHP/mysql webapp (for internal usage, inhouse software)? I have found some tutorials but there are some gaps. For example the software is in a Mercurial repository so I downloaded mercurial-buildpackage, but the documentation of this one is sparse. What would you normally use as basic setup for this kind of packages? What do I need to pay attention to?

Thanks for your attention,

Joop Kiefte
LaunchIT