Getting a package added to the debian package repository: WACS

Greetings Folks

I hope this is the right mailing list to contact - it was recommended to
me as the best point of contact by some debian developers I met at the
recent Linux.Conf.Au in Wellington NZ.

I'm the lead developer on a free software package called WACS (Web-based
Adult Content Server) which is in essence a complete Content Management
System targeted at Adult content.  It is designed to be used both for
private collections and as a basis for running commercial web sites.

It includes:

- a Complete search/retrieval system
- Extensive web-based content/collection management tools
- Extensive APIs implemented in both Perl and PHP5
- a customisable example web site template
- command line collection management tools
- a download system
- Complete database schema with documentation
- Massive Documentation library (approx 450 pages)

The project has been under development since 2004, on sourceforge since
2005, and has a live free demonstration site at www.pinkmetallic.com.
More information on WACS can be found at http://wacsip.sourceforge.net
and at https://launchpad.net/wacs/

We're just approaching a new release (0.8.5) which will hopefully be
ready to go around the middle of March.  Since we completed the
web-based installer for the previous release (0.8.4), we now feel that
the package has the maturity to be offered to Linux distributions for
consideration for inclusion in their repositories.

As far as we know, we are the only major Open Source project out there
concentrating on making a free Web CMS suitable for adult content.  We
definitely believe our system is extremely capable and compares well to
the commercial alternatives.

It is licensed under the GPLv3 (apart from a few included javascripts
etc which are GPLv2).  The documentation is also available as DocBook
XML source and is licensed under the Creative Commons By Attribution
license.

We've already done packaging work ourselves for both Fedora (RPM) and
Ubuntu (DEB), but I understand that Debian prefer to have a packager
other than the developers themselves do this work (and I imagine other
distributions feel the same when moving software into their
repositories).

I would very much like to open a dialog with the debian webapps team
about whether WACS is now, as I believe, suitable for distribution on a
much wider scale.  I would also like to have discussions with a
prospective packager ahead of the 0.8.5 release with a hope of getting
any changes they would wish to make to the configuration files into the
official release distribution.

Thank you for reading.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Beaky.