Re: Getting a package added to the debian package repository: WACS

hi there,

fwiw i'm going to side-step any discussion related to appropriateness
of content and would appreciate others doing the same (or at least take
it to another list).  but at the same time, please no more links
to "example" sites!

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 08:49:26AM +0000, Beaky, The WACS Man wrote:
> We've already done packaging work ourselves for both Fedora (RPM) and
> Ubuntu (DEB), but I understand that Debian prefer to have a packager
> other than the developers themselves do this work (and I imagine other
> distributions feel the same when moving software into their
> repositories).

i don't think there's any rule against the developers doing the packaging
work, though you will need someone to sponsor your package at least
initially for it to be accepted into the archive.

> I would very much like to open a dialog with the debian webapps team
> about whether WACS is now, as I believe, suitable for distribution on a
> much wider scale.  I would also like to have discussions with a
> prospective packager ahead of the 0.8.5 release with a hope of getting
> any changes they would wish to make to the configuration files into the
> official release distribution.

i think "team" is a bit of a misnomer here, as this list is more of a
discussion area for the common set of problems that one has with web
application packaging.  that said, you might still find someone here
interested in sponsoring or co-maintaining your package (i'm not
volunteering though).  failing that, you could also try the debian-mentors
list.

	sean