Re: wwwconfig-common status

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Penny Leach <penny@mjollnir.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 02:48:05PM +0200, sean finney wrote:
>> this was the primary goal of webapps-common (i.e. a parallel to
>> dbconfig-common).  i say "was" because i lost most of my interest in
>> running this as a pet project on my own and there haven't been any
>> takers-on for adopting and/or co-maintaining it.  there were a couple
>> folks with some passing level of interest, but maybe once they saw the
>> (admittedly horrific) code they ran screaming :)

One of them may have been me... :)

>> if you're feeling adventurous, you can try the latest webapps-common from
>> the svn repo (svn://svn.debian.org/svn/webapps-common/webapps-common/trunk),
>> which is packaged and i believe is "mostly" working, but the quality and
>> complexity levels are a bit dubious :) there's some documentation shipped
>> in the package and it works very similar to dbconfig-common if you're
>> familiar with that.
>
> I see... Do you still think that there's a need for webapps-common?  Are
> you still interested?  If there were other people interested in getting
> involved would that re-seed your interest?
>
> We have a lot of work to do on the Moodle package at the moment, which may
> be a good way to re-work on this.  I don't really want to adopt it
> completely myself, but we could switch Moodle over to it as a proof of
> concept, perhaps, and I could help (and maybe some others on the moodle
> package team too, although of course I can't volunteer *for them*)

The phpwiki package is actually using a fork of the webapps-common
tree from one point in time, there was no package in unstable, so I
just copied the necessary code directly into the postinst, etc scripts
as necessary.

It's been working very nicely for phpwiki for over a year or so now.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing the code make it to a real
package, so that I can remove it from the phpwiki scripts and not have
to maintain it separately, but I can't offer a huge amount of time to
help unfortunately.

Cheers

--
Matt Brown