Re: What about our webapp policy draft?

hi alexis,

nice to see some voices on the list again :)

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 03:30:39PM +0100, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> Our Draft begins to be quite complete I think, I'd like to know what
> remains to be done, to you, in order to have something good enough for a
> first "stable" preview.

from my point of view, these are the next few steps:

- get more "outside eyes" reading over the document for review.  mainly
  i'd like to see at least one of the apache team sign off on it,
  as they have a vested interest in seeing this work as well.
- get more work done on the webapps-common package to actually
  implement this stuff.
- after webapps-common is in a releasable state, we could start lobbying
  people to use it.
- after people start using it, we could start lobbying the developers'
  reference to mention us.
- after the developers' ref mentions us (or in parallel to the above) we
  could then start lobbying the policy peeps.

> I'd like to know also if you think that a "Debian Webapp Team" could be
> a good thing. I'm currently maintaining Bugzilla and have real
> difficulties to keep my package up-to-date with security fixes when
> upstream drop support (this sadly happens quickly in Mozilla's side).

i think for simple drop-and-go webapps this might be of help, but for
anything of significant complexity, i don't know that it will get us
much.  with lots of the more complicated webapps you have to be
familiar with what it does and how to use it to be fully effective
at packaging.

	sean