Re: Bug 314808, /srv and webapps.

hi,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 06:10:44PM +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> The files are not put in the "document root". They're symlinked.
>
> Most Web apps are arch-independent, unless I've misunderstood you.

i think you have.  what i'm saying is instead of using
/usr/share/wordpress as the location where you put your
web-accessible files (and then alias in apache), you should use
/usr/share/wordpress/www or something similar, so that if you
ever have files/scripts/includes that don't need to be in the
web accessible directory, you can do so easily.  it also makes
it clear to the local admin what files are web-related.

> > also, to respond to the previously brought up issue of /srv, i don't
> > think webapps should be dropping anything in there are all.
>
> Any reason why?

for exactly why steve mentioned.  from my reading of the FHS and debian
policy, /srv is closer to /opt or /usr/local wrt how we should be
handling it, which means we don't plop files in there.  there was some
discussion of a tool to help manage copies of sites in /srv, but this
should not be a default feature, and should actually probably be
recommended against as it makes life much more difficult for package
maintainers and more prone to breaking.

	sean