Re: Bug 314808, /srv and webapps.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:12:27PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> The FHS dictates: /src is site-specific.
> The Policy dictates: webapps-files in /usr/share/package/, which I
> strongly agree.
> Now, what prevents us writing helper-packages to maintain a subset of,
> say, /srv/webapps/?
> It could be, like Kai said, /srv/[webapps|www]/HTTP_HOST/ or whatever,
> that is managed by this helper-package.
> I mean, every Webapp which has to have the static (.inc.php or whatever)
> files _inside_ the webroot is seriously broken.
> We could instead just have everything static
> in /usr/share/package/whatever, everything configurable by the user
> in /etc/package/whatever, and assembling everything together
> via /srv/webapps/whatever.
> So, say, wordpress - has the programm in /usr/share/wordpress/, the

Yes. I keep Wordpress static files in :
/usr/share/wordpress/

Configuration file for my blog natalian.org is called:
/etc/wordpress/natalian.org
In there are the mysql connection details.

/web/natalian.org -> /usr/share/wordpress/

Just a symlink sometimes might not do. For example if I drop or link my
theme in /usr/share/wordpress, it would be shared with all the other
users of the packages in the system.

Though creating a link farm from /web, no I meant /srv/www/natalian.org
is possible, it does look a little horrible at first glances. It's

It should be /srv/www not /srv/webapps to conform to the "service"
protocols in /etc/protocols. Though now checking /etc/protocols, it
doesn't have a www protocol. Oh FFS FHS!
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
Anyway, the 3 characters of www or web for that matter if far better than
the 7 of webapps. :)

I don't quite understand Colin Watsons last post on #314808. How the
hell can "www" be a FQDN?