Re: Bug 314808, /srv and webapps.

This one time, at band camp, Kai Hendry said:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 07:36:41PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 09:53:27AM +1000, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > > Yes. I keep Wordpress static files in :
> > > /usr/share/wordpress/
> > can i suggest a subdirectory of this directory?  that way, if you need
> > to keep other arch-independant files, you have the liberty to do so
> > without having to put them in the document root.
>
> The files are not put in the "document root". They're symlinked.
>
> Most Web apps are arch-independent, unless I've misunderstood you.

I think you're misunderstanding - sean is saying use
/usr/share/wordpress/www/ or something as the document root for _this
app_ - that way you can have /usr/share/wordpress/config be outside of
the doc root.  Unless I'm misunderstanding sean :)

> > also, to respond to the previously brought up issue of /srv, i don't
> > think webapps should be dropping anything in there are all.
>
> Any reason why?

/srv is explicitly marked as the domain of local site policy.  Debian
should not place anything there.  Perhaps a short shell script to
register a webapp under /srv would be nice, but it shouldn't be done by
default.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |