Re: [PHP] Standard placement of PHP libraries?

On Thursday 04 of August 2005 14:38, Jose Carlos do Nascimento wrote:
> If I would like to package one pear module,   example  DB.
> I will use dh-make-php DB.tgz    , or something else.
> DB  is  compatible with php4 and php5,,,  then files will be put in
> /usr/share/php/db ?
>
> and if DB  just works  with >= php5  ?   files will be put in
> /usr/share/php5 ?
>
> is this correct ?

Yes. I think it should be correct behaviour. Notice, that this is true for
Debian packages, because `pear install' packages will always be installed
in /usr/local/share/php. It is the limit of PEAR packaging system. What I
mean is a suggestion that we shouldn't mix dpkg and pear-pkg together.

BTW, I'm investigating Fedora's php package. They use ./configure
--with-config-file-scan-dir=%{_sysconfdir}/php.d, so registering the PHP
extensions is pretty easy. I think we could mimic apache2's layout:

/etc/php5/apache/mods-available/500mysql.ini = config file installed from
Debian package

/etc/php5/apache/php.d/500mysql.ini = symlink created by php5-modconf or
simply by postinst script

I'm not sure if the "mods-available" is good name... We could also rename
"php.d" to "conf.d" like for apache and apache2 packages.

As you can see, there is PHPSAPI and priority in the pathname. Some extensions
work only with a few SAPIs. Some extensions are depending on other
extensions, so priority is the must.

Last, but not least: php5 package installs /etc/apache/conf.d/php5.conf file.
This is the problem related to any apache's modules. The problem appears if
package is removed but conffile still remains. Remember that we have 4
flavours of Apache server
(/etc/{apache,apache-ssl,apache-perl,apache2}/conf.d) and I think we
shouldn't provide just one config file for 4 servers.

Should be start the new tread about this issue?

--
 .''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl