Re: What about virtual hosting facility?

hi,

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 04:16:09PM +0100, mb wrote:
> What about packages that will probably need to be set up with multiple
> vhosts?  (I'm thinking along the lines of a CMS that will be used to
> host several domains on a single webserver.)  It seems that for this
> type of package the administrator would want to be able to set up
> multiple "instances" of the package on-demand, cloning/creating only
> the parts that can't be shared between instances.

this has been discussed, and was generally agreed that it would be a
good feature to have.

> (I've been toying with the idea of a package to manage "instances"..

well, there are two distinct situations.  there's situation "a", where
all that would need to be done would be including a different
php/perl/etc configuration per-vhost (this has been discussed, i'll
leave it as an academic exercise to dig up the thread).  then there's
situation "b", where the entire site has to be instanced.  again, it
shouldn't be too hard to dig up the relevant threads on this.

> (from templates)/etc.).  Webapps would not be the only possible
> application for this sort of thing, but would probably be the most
> common, and alot of the facilities necessary (database creation, vhost
> setup) would be shared with something like dbconfig.. is there a logical
> way to manage this without duplicating effort?)

i've actually been holding off on multidb support in dbc because i want
to see how things develop here first (since the majority of applications
that would want multiple databases are in fact web applications).
when i do put in the support, it will provide some kind of hook for what
we're doing here, such that there shouldn't be too much duplicated effort.

	sean