Re: What about virtual hosting facility?

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:35:55PM +0200, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> It would work I guess, but the user here wants something like
> http://host/ instead of http://host/bugzilla/

this should be possible, as long as there are no absolute references.

> In the current bugzilla 2.18 package, that's possible with editing a
> Perl module named Config.pm which sets a $webpath variable, but that's
> not a good thing to point the user to editing such a file, I'd rather
> have some config option for such a need.

if a this file is in /etc, i think you've done your job.

> In the current bugzilla package, I cannot do that because CGIs are
> installed in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/package (I follow the old policy as you
> can see) thus, I have to point the CGI to the right location (using foo
> instead of /bugzilla/foo would lead to something like
> /cgi-bin/bugzilla/foo).

i don't follow.  nagios uses the same layout and i don't seem to have
any problems :)

> Here is what I think about severities:
>
>   "important" issues
>
>     The webapp does not provide any vhost facility.
>     The webapp provides a vhost facility but that needs harcoded patches.
>
>   "normal" issue
>
>     The webapp is vhost-able but does not use the dh_webapps helper for
>     registering the webapp as a standalone or a vhost website.

like i said earlier, i think there's a clear difference between
providing vhost facilities and being possible to be vhosted.  i wouldn't
classify the former as "important" if the latter were possible.

of course, that doesn't mean that our automagic webapp installation
helper framework shouldn't provide the help.

> As you can see, I really like the idea of a dh_webappsfoo that could
> register the webapps either as a standalone or as a vhost. Please tell
> me what you think about that.

yes, i think this would be a part of the feature set.

	sean