Re: What about virtual hosting facility?

Hi; coming to this discussion rather late, so feel free to point me to
the archives if necessary.. :)

On 5/16/2005, "sean finney" <seanius@debian.org> wrote:
>> As you can see, I really like the idea of a dh_webappsfoo that could
>> register the webapps either as a standalone or as a vhost. Please tell
>> me what you think about that.
>
>yes, i think this would be a part of the feature set.

What about packages that will probably need to be set up with multiple
vhosts?  (I'm thinking along the lines of a CMS that will be used to
host several domains on a single webserver.)  It seems that for this
type of package the administrator would want to be able to set up
multiple "instances" of the package on-demand, cloning/creating only
the parts that can't be shared between instances.

(I've been toying with the idea of a package to manage "instances"..
other packages could register themselves on installation as
"instance-capable", and provide a description of steps needed to
create each instance (create directories/databases/configuration files
(from templates)/etc.).  Webapps would not be the only possible
application for this sort of thing, but would probably be the most
common, and alot of the facilities necessary (database creation, vhost
setup) would be shared with something like dbconfig.. is there a logical
way to manage this without duplicating effort?)

Thanks,
--
mb