Registering php modules

Hi all,

The current policy draft (1.3) states that:

Applications extending the abilities of php via add-on php modules
should do so by placing symbolic links to any any relevant configuration
files in the appropriate php.d directory (/etc/php4/apache/php.d, for
example). Editing the contents of php.ini files directly is strongly
discouraged and should only be done if it is not possible to make
changes via the previously described method. In such cases, packages
must not do so without first prompting the admin, and the default
response for such a question should be "false".

I'm currently writing dh_installphp as a nice helper app for installing
modules.

However, when asking on ##php on how best to support a php.d/* config
system for php.ini, I discovered that is is currently no apache-style
Include support within php.ini.

It was suggested that php.ini should be edited directly, adding
extension=foo.so
and parsing for the line on package removal, removing the line if found.

Is there any good reason why (if this is programed properly into
dh_installphp) we shoudn't do this? If so, what are the alternatives?

All the best,
Neil
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li B345BDD3