Re: Web applications specific issues

hi,

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 06:42:28PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Moreover, IMHO, keeping an older version of a web app come from 2
> reasons :
>  * upgrade is too hard / too risky (in a wep app PoV)
>  * ppl have customized / changed it a lot
>
> (2) is not of our concern
>
> (1) is sth we should work on.

agreed.  with a solid policy in place, i think (1) becomes a moot
issue, as upgrading/downgrading webapps would be like anything else
in debian.  for (2), i think that the packager should not have
to worry about that[1].

would hopefully not be much of a difficult thing to do.

> At least, if we have many apps in the archive (like rt does) there
> should have a strict policy, like :
>  * not more than 'n' packages (n kept small like 3)
>  * package *has* to be supported upstream or by the packager, with
>    reasonnable reliability (especially wrt bugs >= important), else it
>    has to be removed from the archive.
>  * those package should not be apps that are trivial to upgrade (putting
>    the fact that maybe users may have done changes aside)

yes, but i think this is not specific to webapps.

	sean

--
[1] previous discussions of $magicutility could be applicable, but this
    would in any event be outside the scope of the webapp's package, and