Automating give-bakcs?

On 2018-01-09 11:01 +0000, Punit Agrawal wrote:
> Thanks for pushing this through. For some reason, I was under the
> impression that the give-backs are all automated. :)

This made me wonder whether in fact it would make sense to automate this.

Why do we not let DDs generate give-backs? I suspect this is mostly
historical from when buildds were a more scarce resource, and we
didn't trust DDs not to waste it? But it might be because the tool to
do that also provides other capabilities that could be abused?

It seems to me that there are not that many requests and they are
mostly sensible, so if DDs could do this themselves that would
probably work OK, even allowing for some increased slackness (from
people knowing they are not going to be checked up on).

The overhead of us checking and doing it is not large but it is
perhaps not an optimal use of our time?

Of course setting up some automation would also involve some work and
maybe thats the main impediment.

Do we agree in principle that letting DD/DMs do give-backs would be
sensible or not?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/